Date: 2020-06-24Last modified: 2023-03-07
PRINCE2 vs PMP
- PRINCE2 focuses of WHAT to do
- PMP focuses on HOW to do it
- PRINCE2 is a methodology using processes
- PMP is a standard and a knowlegebase
Theses certifications are not in competition with each other, they can be used with each other.
Benefits of PRINCE2
- Common lexicon for those involved in project
- Explicit roles assigned for each reponsability
- Customer focuses by design
- Provides repeatable processes
- Deliver on busines needs
- Adaptable and tailorable to the business
What it Won’t Provide?
- Excludes specialized aspects
- Human resources
- Excludes management of people
- Doesn’t focus on techniques or dictate how to do something
- Continued Business Justification
- Learn From Experience
- Defined Roles and Reponsabilities
- Manage by Stages
- Manage by Exception
- Focus on Products
- Tailor To Suit The Project
Principle: Continued Business Justification
- Are the benefits still worth the risk & costs?
- Project must always remain desirable, viable, and achievable
- If not, the project should be closed
- Does the organization have the capability to deliver the product?
- Will the use of the project’s products result in the outcomes and benefits expected?
- Prevents wasting resources on a project that has no benefits
- Benefits do not have to be (only) monetary
Business Case Components
- Reason for the project
- Expected benefits and dis-benefits
- What threshold would project be terminated?
- Timeline, Cost, and Risk
- Underlying assumptions
- Options considered
- Chosen solution
Learn From Experiences
- Everyone makes mistakes, but how can we learn from them?
- Collect reports of lessons learned from previous projects
- Generate reports during the project
Who’s Responsability Is It?
- Project managers should identify, document, and disseminate lessons via lesson reports to the project board
- Project board should distribute these reports to the organization’s other project managers
Hindsight is 20-20
- Setup a lessons learned log during the Starting Up a Project process
- Generate lessons reports at the end of each stage
- Final lessons report created before the Closing a Project process is completed
Lessons Learned arr “Testable”
- Assurance auditors will ask for evidence that lessons ar actually being learned
- Looking for proof that things are implemented to improve process and prevent mistakes
- Lessons Learned is different from Lessons Observed
How to prevent mistakes?
- Learn from past mistakes to prevent new ones
- Create a repository of lessons reports
- Recruit members to your project with similar project experiences…
- …there really is no substitute for experience!